Harem

At Topkapı Palace, the Harem Apartments were where the sultans lived together with their families. Reflecting architectural styles ranging from the 16th century to the early 19th century, the entire complex is of the greatest importance in terms of architectural history. The Harem was initially established within the Second Courtyard above the palace’s back gardens and expanded greatly over the centuries. The apartments were secluded with great care by means of high walls, from the more public... ...More
Domed Cabinets, are the cabinets being found in the walls of this room. Here, the documents concerning the pious foundation connected to the holy sites in Mecca and Medina were kept. This foundation was under the supervision of the Chief Black Eunuch (Dârüssaâde Ağası).
The Fountain Hall, which was managed by the black eunuchs, was the main entrance to the Harem. It was through this area, with its walls covered in 17th-century Kütahya ceramic tiles, that the sultans would pass when they went to observe a military procession or (having disguised themselves) when they wished to go outside.
The small mosque found on the left after leaving the Fountain Hall was rebuilt following the fire of 1665. Its walls, too, are decorated with 17th-century tiles, these ones bearing floral motifs and verses of the Qur’an.  
The Paved Courtyard of the Black Eunuchs was named after the Black Eunuchs.  Their main duty was to guard the Harem entrance, checking whoever went in and out and making sure that no one unwanted was allowed in. It is surrounded by the Treasurer’s Chamber; the Chamber of the Courtiers; the Dormitory of the Black Eunuchs and the School of the Princes, which had an educational function like that of the dormitories found in the Inner Palace Courtyard the Schools of the Princes. It is... ...More